Answers to Common Questions
Virtual AdvisorThe Virtual Advisor can answer most of your questions as well as
direct you to the
Credential, career changer
- I am thinking of changing my career and becoming a teacher in California. I have an undergraduate degree and am very familiar with the subject I wish to teach. Do I still need to complete a teacher preparation program?
- I am considering changing my career and becoming a teacher. I know I have to complete a teacher preparation program but I need to keep working in order to support my family. Is this possible?
Credential, out-of-country teacher
- I have read that the requirements for becoming a teacher in California have become easier for teachers from other states. Is this true for teachers from other countries?
- I am a teacher outside the United States and would like to become a credentialed teacher in California. What do I need to do?
Credential, out-of-state teacher
- I have been teaching in another state for many years and am now thinking of relocating to California. What do I need to do in order to teach in California?
- I am a teacher who is interested in moving to California to teach. I have heard that the teaching licenses from other states are usually not accepted by California. Is that true?
- I am thinking of moving to the US, am not a teacher now but would like to teach in California. What do I need to do?
- I have a master's degree in the subject I wish to teach. Do I just need to pass the CBEST in order to teach in a k-12 classroom?
- I am not sure what grade level I wish to teach. What would be the best ways for me to figure this out?
- I am from out-of-state and understand that each school district in California does its own hiring. Do I have to call each school district, or log on to each district's Web site, in order to see what jobs are available in the state?
- I want to teach but I want to make sure I can get a job. Are there some types of teachers needed more than others?
- I've been working in private industry for many years and am seriously considering changing my career and becoming a teacher. I can't go back to school 100% as I have a family to support. What are my options?
- I understand there is a need for science teachers, but I've heard there are different types of science credentials. Can you explain the differences?
- I am a paraeducator, and am assigned to a classroom that includes a couple of students with special needs. I'm thinking of becoming a special education teacher, but have to continue working while taking classes. Is there any program that can help me?
- I would like to live in the neighborhood in which I teach but I do not think I can afford to purchase a house. Are there are programs that could help me realize this dream?
- I missed the March 2nd priority filing date of the FAFSA. Does that mean I am not eligible for financial aid?
- I have been researching different scholarships and I have found some services that will do the search for you, for a fee. Is this a good deal? Are they helpful?
- I would like to live in the neighborhood in which I teach but I do not think I can afford to purchase a house. Are there programs that could help me realize this dream?
- I know there is a shortage of special education teachers but are there any programs to help someone obtain their education specialist credential?
- I am thinking of becoming either a mathematics or science teacher and need financial assistance. I've filed my FAFSA but is there anything else I can do?
- I have heard about National Board Certification and would like to know if there are any financial benefits to obtaining this certification.
- I've heard that there are some new financial aid programs for future teachers in high need areas. Do you have any information about them?
- I am not from California and I am wondering if I am eligible for any California-based financial aid.